December 17, 2015
Public meetings take place in January & February, followed by auditions in March
Nashville, Tenn. (December 17, 2015) – The Nashville Symphony will host a series of public meetings in January and February to inform students and their families about its new Accelerando music education initiative. Open to students in grades 4-10, Accelerando is designed to prepare gifted young musicians from underrepresented communities to pursue music at the collegiate level and beyond.
Set to launch in September 2016, the program will engage individual students over a multi-year period with extensive instruction, performance and learning opportunities, and will also offer guidance, counseling and assistance in applying for collegiate music programs.
Informational meetings for prospective students and their families will take place on the following dates at various community locations:
Saturday, January 30, 10 am-noon: Schermerhorn Symphony Center, 1 Symphony Place
Tuesday, February 2, 6-7 pm: Creswell Middle Arts Magnet, 3500 John Mallette Dr.
Thursday, February 4, 6-7 pm: Casa Azafrán, 2195 Nolensville Pike
Tuesday, February 9, 6-7 pm: Oliver Middle School, 6211 Nolensville Rd.
Students interested in participating in Accelerando must fill out an application form
and perform a live audition, during which they will be given 10 minutes to demonstrate their proficiency on their instrument. Auditions will take place Saturday, March 12, noon-6 pm, at W.O. Smith Music School, 1125 8th Ave. S.
Accelerando Program Outline
- Students in grades 4-10 may audition in spring 2016
- When fully implemented, program will serve students in grades 5-12
- Participants to receive year-round instruction from a Nashville Symphony musician or a highly qualified local instructor
- Students and families eligible for complimentary Nashville Symphony Classical Series tickets
- Solo recital and chamber performance opportunities offered
- Students required to participate in school band, school orchestra and/or local youth orchestras
- Technical and performance juries each year
- Summer learning activities for students to be announced
- Supplementary music instruction provided by Blair School of Music
- Professional guidance and college counseling offered to students and their families
- Financial and logistical assistance available for applying to music school